Friday, August 8, 2008

Jimmy and Angel, A Love Story?


They called him "Rebound" and couldn't wait for him to arrive. Released from prison on August 29th, our boss had sent him a bus ticket and in Brigham City he started work. He was the stuff of legend around the lot and I was sure that I would hate him before I ever met him. Heavy drinking and fist fights at work were something I didn't want or need in my life. Traveling with CHB and City of Fun was a wonderful job and we were all a family of sorts. Like the Sharks and the Jets of West Side Story or the Hatfield's and McCoys, we were the Ride Jocks and the Jointies, not supposed to get along. Now this fabled "right hand" of the boss was coming and most everyone was hoping that s#@% would hit the fan!


One morning I woke up, went outside, and there he was. Over a week late and many dollars short! Small in stature, big on personality. Very friendly and not too bad on the eyes....for an older guy. I was with a young one, just a pup really. He wasn't very nice, but he was pretty. Everything happened the opposite of what I'd figured. A lesson on prejudice for me. I found that I liked him, but my man couldn't stand him. He was definitely a drinker, loved his beer, but the fights that the guys were hoping for never happened.


Being right out of prison there was only one thing on this guys mind (besides drinking) and that was getting a woman. Any woman, he didn't care. After Brigham City, we took off for Sierra Vista, AZ From the northern part of Utah to southern AZ, it was a two day jump. Everyone was was exhausted by the time we arrived and just wanted to relax. For most everyone that meant kicking back and having a few beers. Rebound was no exception and he was buying. I was the only one with a car and he needed a ride to the store. I remember so well that I was afraid to take him because I didn't want to be alone with this masher. I tried to refuse him the ride but my young pup told me to take him and I did as I was told to keep from getting into another argument with him. Things between us had been getting bad for a few weeks so I figured it was easier to take my chances with this Rebound character than to risk another horrible fight.


Our trip to the store was without incident although he was overly flirtatious. Inside the store he went off to get his beer and I struck up a conversation with a clerk about a new Cologne called Amber Musk. I tried some on and loved it, I decided that I would come back and buy some when I had some money with me. Rebound was ready to leave so we headed back to the car. He asked me if I would take him through Arby's so he could get something to eat. I adamantly believe that you shouldn't drink on an empty stomach, so I was happy to oblige. Once inside the car the scent of my Cologne hit him and he told me how much he liked it. By the time we were in line at the drive-through the mashing has begun. This guy was relentless and didn't seem to understand the meaning of "no"! I was alone in the car with an octopus! I was stuck between cars and as usual, Arby's was very slow. As long as the car wasn't moving I could fight him off but when I had to drive I needed my concentration. I'd like to say that he was this horrible potential rapist guy, but truth be told, he was getting to me. It was only the fact that I was with the young pup that made me resist him. Finally we got his food and started back to the lot. He tried to behave during the 10 minute ride, but about a half mile from the lot, as I was driving up a hill, he reached out and pulled the gearshift into neutral. I laughed at him and teased that he just didn't know when to give up. A few yards further down the road he reached over once again and this time turned the key off in the ignition. Now I was angry! We sat there in the car while I began a tiraid about fidelity and "no means no, not yes or maybe". I guess I finally got my point across, started the car and finished driving back to the lot. Still angry, I dropped him off, picked up my pup and his cronies, and left the lot to go stay in a motel. It should have ended there, but it had only begun........


To be continued....

No comments: