Monday, October 13, 2008

I've been havin' fun

Anybody out there a member of Classmates.com? I recommend it to everybody. After nearly 40 years out of school, I have reconnected with a couple of former classmates. Not the one I was looking for when I joined, but what the heck, it was still so worth it because I've made one brand new friend and reconnected with three old ones. Two of whom I communicate with regularly.

They were part of the group of kids I idolized in high school. I was too much of a "goodie two shoes" back then to fit in with their crowd, but oh how I wanted to be bad. It was the late 60's, early 70's and Peace, Love and Flower Power. "Hippies" and drugs. A "free" lifestyle. I liked everything about it except the drugs. They scared me. And there was the other thing. I was a good girl. On the one hand I was afraid of my parents wrath. Didn't want to do anything to incur it. On the other hand, I hooked up with the Mormon Church which my parents thought was their worst nightmare. They considered it a cult and felt that I was being brainwashed. What they didn't know was that for me it was a struggle between good and bad and in order to remain the "good girl" they wanted, I needed to rein myself in and made my choice accordingly. I stuck with my decision, but still, from afar, looked on at that other group of kids, longing to be a part of their lives as well. I never knew how unhappy they were. Maybe we should have talked then.

We're talking now. It's kind of ironic how life turns out. These people who were making such a mess of their lives back then, managed to live through it and are now successful people and living pretty nice lives. Little miss "goodie two shoes", who fought so hard to keep her demons at bay, finally fell and fell hard. Drug addiction and multiple marriages being only the tip of the ice burg. A loser with a capital L.

There is no time limit on repentance though. I took a page out of my son-in-law's book, and decided to get my butt in gear and find my church. Yesterday I attended my new branch for the first time and met my new "family". It was also Fast Sunday and I was able to bear my Testimony. I also continued my fast until late in the evening because I had much to fast and pray about.

I capped the day off by spending an hour or so exchanging e mails with my classmate in Texas. It was fun and he sent tons of pictures, both old and new. A long trip down memory lane and some beautiful Texas nature shots. He challenged me to identify the people in some old pictures and I'm sure I failed miserably. Today I sent the pictures to my other friend in Washington state. He was in the pictures and had a hard time figuring out who HE was let alone the others. That made me feel a LOT better. It was lots of fun and I think we got the important ones figured out! So, while I can't be doing layouts, I'm still enjoying myself, catching up with friends from the past. Try it, it'll be fun!

A word of advice if you're going to join Classmates. Include a picture! Now and then if you have one. After you've been out of touch for a while it is sometimes hard to put faces and names together.

1 comment:

Jacobson Five said...

I like your new background, very pretty and much easier to read.